Idaho Power is asking customers to stay safe and help prevent power outages this Fourth of July that could be caused by wildfires sparked by fireworks. Keep a bucket of water nearby when lighting fireworks, and avoid using fireworks near dry vegetation and flammable materials. Consider using safer options like glowsticks instead of sparklers.
Also keep a safe distance from overhead power lines and electrical equipment — like the green transformer boxes in neighborhoods — when setting up fireworks.
People who are camping or traveling for the holiday also can reduce the risk of wildfire if they:
- Monitor and obey fire restrictions.
- Use designated fire rings at campgrounds.
- Fully extinguish campfires after use.
- Never park or start vehicles on dry grass.
- Check trailer tires for proper air pressure and make sure the rubber is in good condition.
For more information on wildfire and ways to help prevent it, visit idahopower.com/wildfire.
For a fun activity to help teach kids about firework safety, download our free coloring sheet.