What Is It?
A ducted ground source heat pump is a highly efficient electric heating and cooling system.
How Does it Work?
A ducted ground source heat pump uses traditional air ducts and vents throughout a home to distribute warm or cool air. To heat a home it absorbs heat from the ground then moves the heat to the air handler to circulate warm air throughout the home. During the summer it absorbs heat from the home then moves the heat to the ground to dissipate it.
What is the Incentive?
|Existing System||New System||Incentive|
|Air-Source Heat Pump||Ground Source Heat Pump||$1,000|
|Electric Forced-Air Furnace||Ground Source Heat Pump*||$3,000|
|Electric Baseboards, Ceiling Cable, Wall Units||Ground Source Heat Pump*||$3,000|
|Propane Forced-Air Furnace||Ground Source Heat Pump**||$3,000|
|Oil Forced-Air Furnace||Ground Source Heat Pump**||$3,000|
And to save even more, you may also qualify for a federal tax credit. Visit the ENERGY STAR Tax Credits For Homeowners page to learn more. Please note Idaho Power is not affiliated with these federal tax credits.
*Supplemental heat for heat pumps must be electric.
**Home must be in area where natural gas in not readily available.
How Do I Qualify?
- Incentive available only to Idaho Power customers in Idaho.
- Meet all requirements in the Ground Source Heat Pump Specification section of the
- You must be an Idaho Power residential customer, and either a homeowner, builder or property owner.
- Your home must be single-family site-built, manufactured, duplex, triplex, or fourplex.
- Your home can be a primary residence, vacation home, or rental.
- New system minimum efficiency rating is 3.5 Coefficient of Performance (COP).
- A maximum of one incentive per home.
How Do I Apply?
- Review the Terms and Conditions,
- Contact a licensed HVAC contractor and have the ground source heat pump installed.
- Complete the
- Submit the completed forms together with a copy of the paid licensed HVAC contractor invoice and AHRI certificate to Idaho Power.
- Receive a check upon application review and approval.