Flex Peak is a demand response program that offers cash incentives to commercial and industrial customers who can reduce their electric load when summer demand for energy is high or for other system needs.
The program operates June 15 to September 15. Three events is the minimum that will occur during the season, each between the hours of 3 and 10 p.m., Monday through Friday. Events last between two and four hours, and customers will be notified four hours before the event.
Why should I participate?
- Add revenue to your bottom line. Flex Peak is a simple and smart way to put money back into your business with zero upfront costs and the flexibility to curtail an entire facility or a small portion of the facility.
- Take control of your energy use by becoming more familiar and efficient in running your facility.
- Get leaner and greener. Flex Peak helps your facility become more energy efficient while providing a cost-effective solution when summer energy demands are high.
- Give back to your community. Flex Peak helps Idaho Power meet its commitment to provide reliable, affordable, clean energy.
Incentive payments consist of a fixed payment and a variable payment.
The fixed payment is $3.25 per kilowatt (kW) per week. Customers will get paid this amount even for weeks when an event is not called, up to their nominated amount. For weeks when an event is called, customers will receive the $3.25 payment based on the amount of actual kW reduction achieved during the event.
The variable payment is $0.20 per kilowatt-hour (kWh). This amount is only provided after the first four events of the season and is based on the amount of kW reduced during the event, multiplied by the length of the event in hours.
How much can I expect to make for a season?
There are many factors that will determine the total season incentive amount including the amount of nominated kW, facility performance and the number of events called. A rough estimate is listed below:
A facility that has nominated 100 kW for the entire season, met their nomination during each event and participated in the minimum of three events would get $4,225 for the season.
For additional examples of how much you can earn see our Calculator.
Commercial and industrial customers who are able to reduce a minimum of 20 kW when an event is called.
Application and Steps to Participate
Work with your Energy Advisor on which option might be best for your facility.
Manual Dispatch Option
Customers are eligible to manually control their facility site(s) with the Manual Dispatch Option. Under this classification customers have the flexibility to choose which loads will be interrupted during each load-control event.
Automatic Dispatch Option
A load control device will be installed at the electrical panel(s) of the facility site(sprovide Idaho Power the ability to send a signal to interrupt a particular load or service during the load–control event. Idaho Power or its representatives may install the device at no cost or participants may hire a licensed electrician, at the participant’s expense, to install the device in accordance with the National Electrical Code (“NEC”) and any Idaho Power or manufacturer specifications or requirements.
Enroll online now!
Steps to Participate
Participating in Flex Peak is simple. Idaho Power will:
- Work with you to identify how much energy can be reduced and how you can participate based on your facility needs.
- Assist in identifying specific measures that can be taken to reduce energy so you know what to shut down during an event.
Enroll your facility in Flex Peak by filling out the Flex Peak Application. The amount you commit to reduce can be adjusted as electric loads change and as participants gain experience in the program.
To learn more about how your business can participate in Flex Peak, call 208-388-5377.
Additional Program Documents
Note: Program continuation, eligibility requirements and terms and conditions apply.
For assistance with a PDF on this page or to request a PDF in an alternate format, please contact Customer Service at 208-388-2323 or 1-800-488-6151