Idaho Power supports solar energy and wants customers to have accurate information about rooftop solar panels. False claims are being made by some solar salespeople. The Idaho Attorney General’s office has issued a consumer alert providing tips to help customers spot misrepresentations and educate themselves on the solar marketplace.
Here’s the Truth:
- Idaho Power is NOT asking customers to purchase rooftop solar.
- Idaho Power is NOT partnering with or endorsing specific solar installation companies. We have a process for interconnecting solar customers to our grid, and customers may purchase their system from any licensed installer.
- Customers will NOT receive a rebate from Idaho Power or government entities. Some government tax credits may exist. We recommend asking the installer to provide written proof of any credits or rebates they claim to be available.
- Customers who purchase solar panels WILL still have an Idaho Power bill. While customers with rooftop solar generate enough energy to offset some or even most of their energy usage, all customers interconnected to Idaho Power’s grid still receive a monthly power bill.
- Idaho Power has NOT received a government mandate related to clean energy, but our company did announce a goal to provide 100% clean energy by 2045.
Idaho Power tracks inaccurate and suspicious customer interactions with solar installers. If you have an experience that raises concern about misleading or inaccurate information, please contact our energy advisors at 1-800-632-6605.
How Idaho Power Can Help
Below are some additional details about how Idaho Power supports solar and what services we do, and do not, provide.
Idaho Power DOES:
- Support solar and other renewable energy choices.
- Work with customers to safely connect solar installations to the grid.
- Conduct an on-site inspection for newly installed systems prior to connection.
- Employ energy advisors able to answer questions about solar and other topics.
- Provide third-party resources, including an online solar estimator and tools to help customers stay informed.
- Provide reliable electricity around the clock, including when solar panels are not producing energy.
Idaho Power DOES NOT:
- Sell solar installations or other energy products door-to-door.
- Provide customer information to third parties without the customer’s permission.
- Guarantee our prices or credit structures. Idaho Power’s on-site generation tariffs are not contracts and are subject to change with approval from our public utility commissions.
Detailed information including rules for interconnection and solar payback calculations are available on our Solar Power Options and Customer Generation page.