Fall 2023 Enrollment is Open
Shade trees offer many benefits – including increased comfort, enhanced property values and improvements to air and water quality. Shade trees, when planted in the right location, can even help reduce energy used for summer cooling by 15 percent or more!
Consider whether you have an open space, away from any overhead powerlines on the west side of your house and if you have the means to plant, water and care for a tree. If you do, you may want to participate in the Shade Tree Project. Several species are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Note: Participation is limited to two trees per customer for the life of the program, and participants must have the legal right to plant trees on the property.
Enrollment typically opens to select counties twice per year – spring and fall. The fall 2023 offering is open to residential customers in the following counties*:
Idaho Power has partnered with the Arbor Day Foundation to bring you the Energy Saving Trees online enrollment tool.
Once you’re enrolled, you’ll be able to:
- Select and reserve a tree. There are several species to choose from.
- Plant smart. Get information on the best planting sites for energy efficiency. You will be asked to map your house to see how energy savings change depending on which side of the house the tree is placed. Although the decision about where to plant is ultimately yours, the future of this program depends on the energy savings, so please choose the location wisely.
- Schedule your pickup date. You can pick up your tree on one of the dates listed below. Note: Trees will only be available during these dates and times, and you must pre-register and have your enrollment confirmation letter to pick up your tree(s).
- Nampa or Boise | Thurs, Oct. 12
- Meridian | Sat, Oct. 14
- Pick up your shade tree at the designated time and location. When you arrive, you can talk with an expert, participate in planting demonstrations and get planting and care instructions. Trees come in 3–5-gallon containers and range in height from 4–10 feet, so please plan their transportation accordingly.
- Plant your tree as soon as possible to give it the best chance at a long and healthy life.
- Enjoy the natural beauty and energy savings for years to come!
How to Plant a Tree
This project is a joint effort by Idaho Power, the City of Boise, Kuna, Meridian, Mountain Home, Nampa, Payette, Pocatello, Twin Falls, Idaho Community Forestry, Idaho Nursery and Landscape Association, Treasure Valley Canopy Network and others.
Program continuation, eligibility requirements and terms and conditions apply. If reservations fill after hours or on the weekend, the enrollment tool will not be deactivated until the next business day. If this occurs and you wish to be notified of any future Shade Tree offerings in your area, should they become available, please email your name, email address and ZIP code to firstname.lastname@example.org.